Friday, May 18, 2012

Why Start Being a Vegan Now?

Well, nothing else has worked to date.  I gave up steak about 20 years ago.  My neighbors got some chickens and it put me off to eat chicken while looking at a a chicken.    So, I gave up chicken about 5 years ago and I called myself a vegetarian.   That was easy but I was still eating, eggs, and fish which did not really feel right. Also, my idea of being a vegetarian was to eat some fruits and vegetables on occasion but my primary food choice (if I'm being totally honest with you) was bread and cheese. 

I was on my way to see a dietitian to discuss my diet and my uncle called.  He tells me he has been a vegan for a year and has never felt better.  He rattles off some dishes and tells me I should try them.  He followed this up with an e-mail with a list of things he likes to eat on a regular basis.  So, for a week I have been a vegan following his food guidelines.    As a gift, he sent, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.  This beautiful bright green book arrived and I feel compelled to actually read it and try this thing out.

I think vegan is a great idea so far because I never really felt right giving up all other living creatures while still eating fish.  I also like the idea of giving up milk cheese and other types of milk products.  I think I will eat less bread if I have less cheese to smear on it.  We shall see.  

I want to reduce the amount of sugar I consume too-for health reasons.

So, all this to say that I'm on a journey to turn over a new leafy green vegetable, put some Hummus on it and see what happens.   
    



 

No comments:

Post a Comment